Saturday 14 July 2012

I do the math: Apocalyptically.

                                               I DO THE MATH:  APOCALYPTICALLY
                                                                             

The Other day I thought of Nibiru colliding with the earth before Christmas.
I thought of earth spinning out of its orbit; empty spaces passing through each other.
I thought of the hottest summer on record; my city collapsing and dissolving into the milky way.
Of decadence of human relationships; of complete loss of all meaningful communication.
Of vagaries of human nature and annihilation of truth; of apathy, anarchy and frugal emotions.
Of lackadaisical fathers who run whore-houses of interrobang, of mothers running amuck in their abortive frenzy?!

The Other day I thought of Achilles in antiquity, rising in the island of Achillea;
My love of him unrequited: his heel invulnerable now, and Iliad no longer sung.
I thought of Carnations no longer pinkish-purple or white, red and yellow; and
Of Orchids never making it blue.

I thought of children going to war; Men from Mars riding Hungarian Horntails,
Of Vienna as the capital city of Sauron and evils of Morgoth; my visit arrested.
Of an emerald cut Solitaire or a marquise that never shall pride my finger;
Of Apples and Berries and a cult of amateur queries;
Of tube-wells and springs of petrol and diesel, and water being sold Rs 500 per litre;
Of Hashmis creating jobs for the plumber and Brad Pitts available at every nook and corner.

Devoured I sat mulling over the doomsday, when suddenly a finger ran over my forehead;
I turned to find a Knight from my tale.

" Where have you been?" I chuckled as he quite turned pale.

" Here by you, lady. Haven't you been really silly?", he held my hand.

" Oh, I could imagine them blowing up Macedonia, shaving seconds off each hour.
I could see a black hole swallow us up, people failing to emote. I could see Mayan Calendar work its days up."

" Think not of potential disaster, my lady. It's fatal and bunk and of no valid theory. Of all I Know, you are not to prophesize nor conjure up the astronomy to fantasize." said he with an alarming finality.

" The other day I thou... .....". He pulled me closer and held me tight and with such a conviction looked into my eyes.
" After all, its just the other day."

" How could you be so sure? "

" I head the department of Astronomy in Harvard and I know of Andromeda galaxy as they knew of twin towers."

Well then.
 
( Post Maureen sponsored Sunday article on Mayan Calandar. )
Shruti
Note: I shall give you the premise. It is based on what we now call cosmophobia and the doomsday prophesied in the Mayan calandar. This, of course, is a fuzzy logic and a silly concept. The writer suffers from this fear of impending doomsday and goes incoherent. All that she would miss (say a solitaire or a visit to Vienna etc ) after a black hole will swallow up the earth, is spoken of in frenzy. 
It's free verse and fear is depicted in incoherence of thought and speech.

10 comments:

  1. This's awesome writing...especially liked the mention of marquise. not to forget Brad pitt. impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma'am, this is excellent. just a request-plz write other stuff too..articles on everyday stuff,life,fashion...looking forward to it!!
    (Leena)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This is wow... how beautifully you have woven science with fantasy. Now i know how you inspire lesser mortals....Truly, you are in a different league. Keep inspiring.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this is a masterpiece and am still not in a state to comment fairly because I need to do a lot of reading to get the coherence!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid, Tanny, I can't express my gratitude.

      Delete
  5. This is something I call, "A dash of creativity and brilliance." LOVED it! Glad I came across this post on IndiB. Keep writing, Shruti! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm equally glad that you read this post and left a little note of appreciation. Thank you, Vaishali!

      Delete